Mar 17, 2026

As if anyone needed any more proof of just how stange the things that interest me are.

Today, I watched this entire thing… I didn’t watch it all in one sitting, I stopped and started it doing things around the house that needed doing and then coming back to it.

 

Why would someone do this? You have to wonder, right? The truth is though that the infrastructure of New York and the surrounding area just fascinates me. All of it… roads, trains, bridges the architecture. I am simply amazed by it all!

I know more useless facts about the city and its hidy holes than you can imagine. Watching this is a kick to me because you can see that it only takes the train a hair over three and a half minutes to take people from a station…

I don’t know where I was going with the three and a half minutes thing but I’m always fascinated by subways, rail networks, roads, bridges… all kinds of infrastructure. I had gotten the NYC tour guides license just for bragging right back in the aughts. That’s another story.

All of it is just the most incredible thing to do a deep dive into. Before there was a High Line Park it was something I knew about. I’ll bet you didn’t even know about the LOW LINE! It was a park that had been planned over by Delancy Street and would take over the space of the underground Williamsburg Trolley Terminal. I even went to the exhibit they had showing off plans for the park, it was just amazing. 

As first reported by Crain’s, funding for the estimated $83 million subterranean green space that would have been tucked deep beneath the Lower East Side within the long-abandoned Williamsburg Trolley Terminal has essentially dried up. This has forced the project to go “into dormancy” as Signe Nielsen, a landscape architect and member of the Lowline’s board of directors, explained to Crain’s. “We were unable to meet all of the benchmarks that were required, one of the most significant of which was to raise a substantial amount of money.” 

All of it are things I find incredible. Not just within the city itself but throughout the state. These are the things that interest me. I can remember as a teenager going on an adventure with a friend where we took the 2 train first to the terminus on 241st street (I was living in the Bronx then) and road the train all the way out to New Lots Avenue in Brooklyn just standing with my friend looking out the window of the first car.

This really was what I was doing as a 15 year old, can you imagine. Mind you, this was before cell phones and helicopter parenting that me and a 14 year old friend went on an adventure together and didn’t broadcast the fact or even let an adult know we were doing it.

How times have changed. 

No comments: